Wednesday, August 19, 2009

if i had only 24 hours in Rome...

My mom and dad are going on a Mediterranean cruise this May and prior to cruising they will spend three days in Rome. My mom has been asking me how they should spend their 72 hours in the eternal city. But what if there was only a day? I read an article in an issue of National Geographic Traveler that had a 24 hour/give me a migraine, Roman holiday. Impressive was the schedule, but enjoyable? No.

So if I had only 24 hours in Rome what are the must see's, must do's, must have's, and must stay's?

The Roman Forum from the Capitoline

I would take a guided tour through the Roman Forum along with the Palatine. Learn about Ancient Roma and stroll through the best lesson of history you'll ever experience.

After the Forum, I'm sure a panini, a siesta, or gelato...or all three are needed. I prefer to eat cheap for lunch, like a panini to-go, take it to your favorite piazza in Rome, maybe near the Pantheon.

In the late afternoon and early evening I would stroll along the Via del Corso with the locals. My agenda would consist of people watching and shopping.

Bernini's Four Rivers Fountain

After my stroll, it's time for dinner. Although loaded with tourist, I would choose to eat on the Piazza Navona. This ever changing piazza is full of eateries and entertainment.

The Tiber

My other choice would be to spend my evening in the Trastevere, on the other side of the Tiber. This is a gem of a neighborhood and will not disappoint.

Sitting on the steps of the Pantheon watching a family play ball...like it aint no thang.

For lodging, I think staying near the Pantheon is fun, there is always lots of action, and it's central for getting around.

My main concerns for my Rome itinerary are strolling and gelato. There are loads of other activities and places to experience like, Saint Peters at late afternoon when the sun is low and casting holy light on the marble and the miracle of no crowds; The Bourghese Gallery...I wont even try to describe, just go; The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and the list goes on! Take it easy, don't stress out, and if you are invited to see the city on the back of a motorbike...GO!

Lodging near the Pantheon
http://www.albergosantachiara.com/


Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: