Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Longing for the South.

Life has started up again and I haven't been inspired thus my 2 month absence. Lame. Today brought a surprise, adventure, and inspiration. I received in the mail the October issue of Southern Living. Random. I asked my parents if they bought it for me as a gift, no. I still have no idea where it came from, maybe they started sending it to me and I'll eventually receive a bill in the mail. Anyhow, I am inspired and inclined to get up a move...or take a trip to the south tomorrow leaving my west. Hiking through the Appalachians, biscuits in small southern towns, and bungalow homes in Chattanooga with a healthy dose of southern comfort have drawn me to this part of America steeped in history and tradition.

I recommend checking out the issue, but I will share my favorite inspiration & southern delights. These are home decorating ideas I am going to try...

I love the idea of taking an old letter and scanning and enlarging it into a piece of art for your home. The framed envelope was addressed by the home owner, George Krauth's, great-grandmother to her uncle in 1917! I love how this isn't just some prefab 'art' from Target but a piece that tells a story and family history. I have some letters from my dad's side of the family that date back to the civil war, I think they would work perfectly.

Another delight was the use of maps as wallpaper. This image isn't from the October issue Of SL but it's a cool example just the same. Now this is a pretty popular home trend as of late but what this homeowner did was use vintage Chesapeak Bay maps. George has a love for the colonial port towns and also the mustard yellow color.

Other Resources:
Tchochkes
decor pad

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: