Saturday, October 31, 2009

spin. discover.

image from highstreetmarket

The other day I went to Saver's not with any intention to buy, just browse...sure. I was with other people who were looking for Halloween Costumes but I already had my git-up. Anyway, as I was passing by the kitchen stuff, a 12-inch globe caught my eye. I paused, lifted it up and checked it out. I was drawn to the muted colors and the sturdy oiled bronze stand. Ten bucks, plus and extra 20% off because it had a yellow tag. hmmmm. One of the employees was commenting on how cool it was and started to become little protective off it, I claimed that I was buying it. I did!

I dusted it off and and started noticing that Russia was still USSR, Germany was one country, Iran was Persia, and no Israel. This was older that I thought. I looked up the company that made it, Replogle Globes. I started digging deeper. I learned that it was made in 1940! I looked at some antique shops and globes like mine were priced at $90! I was beginning to feel a little antique roadshow-ish with my purchase.

My ACTUALLY vintage globe looks quite nice in my bedroom and would look even better with a friend or two.

Here are some different rooms that have incorporated vintage globes into the decorating. I dig.

Image from katiedid

I don't really like this room's 'look' but I do like the globes tucked in here and there.

Image from Coastal Living

I love everything about this – all the globes from large to small, the different colors on each globe, the old map of the US...uuhhh!

Image from Terramia

I learned through my research that in the 1930's globes were produced with a black ocean. Now these globes are being reproduced and are resurfacing. Isn't it stunning? I want one!

Image from apartment#412


I hope you are inspired by the globe and it's endless wonder. Ooh and have a Happy Halloween.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: