Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Tour de France




With the Tour de France underway, I felt it quite fitting to recall my far too brief Tour de-I want to go back-France. I wish and probably should have done the route and stages that the cyclist do but I had other places to see and people to visit.

I started my relationship with France in Paris, sometimes considered Europe's capitol. I think this is a bit of an overstatement but much deserved. One will never run out of cafes, museums, bridges, and awe in Paris. I stayed near Rue Cler in the Hotel Emperuer I believe my mom and I managed to stay there under 100 euros a night over Easter weekend. The room was small but had a nice view, convenient metros close at hand, and walking distance(somewhat ambitious) to the Eiffel Tower. Rue Cler is a delightful street with markets and picturesque cafes. I had the most incredible meal at Cafè Central. The service was friendly to my surprise and had 'spend your whole sunday afternoon people watching' atmosphere. I ordered brunch and my mom had the eggs benedict, both stunning presentation and almost too much for my novice & american palette. My overall experience of Paris was too quick and a definite return in the future. So only a bite for you readers!

After Paris I took the train to Arles. I was so fortunate to actually go to one of the bi-annual Spanish Bullfights! The ticket was 30 euros, which hurt since i am pretty cheap, but well worth it. I probably wont ever go to another bull fight in my life. I've seen and have mixed feelings about the whole experience even today...I'm not sure what was more disturbing, the 6 bulls being slaughtered for "entertainment" or the fact that the ampitheatre was packed with all of France cheering and jeering...I need to return to Arles as well because the town was in rare form. I felt like I was at a tacky Mexican carnival, it did not seem french let alone Van Gogh's temporary home one bit! I spent under 24 hours there unfortunately.

I went to Avignon and fell in love! What a beautiful town and tres francios, or might I say tres provencal (I don't know how to do that broken c symbol...somebody??)! I stayed at a hostel slash campground somewhat on the outskirts of town but not too bad. There wasn't anything negative I can say about Avignon, GO! I was surprised to find out that the Pope lived there for 70 years making it the "Vatican," I had no idea. The crumbling bridge (Pont Saint Benèzèt) with its famous nursery rhymes adds character to this already charming town. I spent three days here and it's a great location to visit provencal villages nearby. I rented a bike and road around the countryside the whole time thinking, "I'm riding a bike...IN FRANCE!!!" It was all perfect. I had a delightful petit dejouner in the Place Crillon. One of my favorite parts of France is le petit dejouner, it's fun to say, tastey, and tres chic...just a side note.

After Avignon I headed to the Cote d'Azure and stayed in Nice. Nice was nice but the weather was a bit wet and cold in mid April. I was determined to rent a chase lounge on the "beach" and drink Rose and pretend I was a young, rich, famous, big deal. I did....and was next to a large leathery man with a much too small euro speedo. I was freezing. I did day trips to Cannes, Antibes, and Monaco. Monaco was unreal and I was too beached to pretend I that I was remotely well off. I stayed at a "hotel" near the train station. I say "hotel" because I would actually consider it a hostel in fact I called it a hostel and the receptionist corrected me with an abrupt, "It's Hotel Belle Meuniere." My thoughts being,"Well I'm sharing a bathroom and bedroom with four people I've never met...it's a hostel." My mistake. Breakfast was included and kept me going till mid afternoon, when I needed Rosè anyway! I would stay their again, it's warm and charming as you enter through their bright yellow doors. If you need a break from the sun Nice has some incredible museums, the free and underrated Contemporary Art Museum is a gem! If you don't go for contemporary art at least go for the incredible panoramic view of Nice on the roof garden. There is also the Matisse and Chagall Museums which are next to each other and worthy of a peruse.

So only a brief slice of France, just enough to make me want to go back.

For more pictures visit my flickr

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: