Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Side trip to Alsace

Riquewihr, is it French or is it German? I'll be honest, I don't know much about this town, due to the fact only 4 hours were spent there. None the less, this village in the Alsace region of France is straight out of a story book. For real, I have the storybook, My Village, illustrated and written by Hansi. I have yet to finish reading the storybook, although it is a picture book, there are 35 pages, all with lots of words. Too much for bedtime.

What I do know is the Alsace region was occupied by the germans during WWI. Hansi, is an artist local to Alsace and is famous for his political cartoons and drawings of traditional dressed children for that time period. Although is drawings are colorful and playful, they are politically loaded and with the small bit of Alsace history one can pick up on where Hansi stood.



In Riquewihr there is a musuem that houses an impressive body of his work. For 2 euro, it is a must see. His styles and medium varies but his skill remains flawless.

More Information:

  • Visit the tourist info website for directions to the town along with hotel options.
  • See what other travelers's thoughts and photographs here
  • See it on the map
  • More of Hansi's work
Images: Top is me on the streetz of Riquewihr, Bottom is a Hansi print

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: